Then you’ve come (virtually) to the right place!
After a super-busy afternoon of shopping for plants (more on that in a future gardening post) and visiting the animals at our local farmers market/petting zoo, we arrived home hungry and with not very much food in the house, and with what I had in the fridge I was inspired to create this:
You will need:
- a large oven-safe skillet or frying pan (I prefer non-stick)
- a pot of boiling water to blanch asparagus
- 1/2 pound fresh (preferably local!) asparagus
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- 1-2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 8 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- oil or cooking spray for pan
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Boil water and blanch 1/2 pound of asparagus to your preferred tenderness, then cool quickly with cold water. (Full disclosure: I cooked the whole pound and ate half of it while cooking the frittata. It was delicious, but there were consequences.)
2. Mix eggs, ham, milk, chives, and salt and pepper in a bowl while preheating oiled pan. Turn broiler to high.
3. Pour egg mixture into preheated pan and arrange asparagus spears on top.* Cook for 2-3 minutes on top of stove, then transfer to oven. Cook on middle rack (10-12 inches from the broiler) for about 10 minutes, until middle is set and top is nicely browned.
4. Cut into wedges, serve, and enjoy!
Molly ate her frittata with relish. Figuratively. Not literally, because that would be really gross. Although she would probably love it; we are talking about a kid who dips dill pickles in vanilla yoghurt.
Ian was also a fan, although you can’t really tell from his expression. He is actually enjoying the frittata, just not the act of getting his picture taken. I’m pretty sure he took up photography just to make sure he could always be the one behind the camera.
Ben, as is often the case, took some time to warm up to the idea:
“What’s for dinner?”
“I don’t like that!”
“Yes, you do.”
“No I don’t! What’s in it?”
“All things you like. Eggs, ham, asparagus.”
“I don’t like asparagus!”
“You like ham and eggs.”
“I want JUST eggs! Is it like scrambled eggs?”
“BUT I don’t LIKE scrambled eggs [damnit, it was a trick question!]! I only like boiled eggs!”
“You like frittata. It’s eggs with ham and asparagus in it.”
“I don’t like them IN it! Can I have the asparagus BESIDE it?”
“And the ham beside it?”
“OOOOHHHHHHHHH!!! BUT I don’t WANT it IN it!!”
“YOU’LL LIKE IT!”
“NO I WON’T! I WON’T LIKE IT AND I’M NOT GOING TO EAT IT!!”
*10 minutes later*
“Mmmm….this is really good. I like this dinner. Actually, mommy, I LOVE this diner!”
*You could also chop the asparagus into bite-sized pieces before blanching and mix them with the rest of the ingredients. The full spears can get a little stringy when broiled and Molly found them hard to chew, so I will probably do that next time. It’s much prettier with the whole spears though!